Friday 19 July 2013

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.4) by Sarah J. Maas (2012)


Description from Goodreads:


Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose...

--

I have to say that this novella was my favourite one of all the 4 that belong to the collection. All the events happen 11 days before Celaena is taken to the infamous salt mine - Endovier. This guarantees there is once again moments which make you to hold your breath as well as held tears back. The mood was so much darker as well as more intense as those who have read the books know what is waiting for Celaena at the end of the tunnel. 

There are couple of reasons why the last short story is my favourite one. First of all, we get to see more of the brutal Abyronn. I can't believe that I say this, but he is one my favourite characters in the series. Aborynn is very complex character and his relationship with Celaena is even more complicated. Abyronn was the one who saved her from death when she was just a child and gave her a luxurious life, even though that life came with the ultimate price: to become an assassin. There are some moments in the Assassin and the Empire that include Abyronn in which my heart just melts, and in others I'm just furious. To be able to get such reactions from me requires a phenomenal character - and he is just that. 

As I already mentioned, the mood is much darker in the last short story. This due to some inevitable scenes that take place, which include e.g. Celaena going berserk with grief and rage. We get lot of bloody moments, but also scenes which ooze misery and agony. So there are a lot of very emotional scenes included which just make the series so special and loved. 


"Aborynn's neck shifted as he swallowed. "I do the things that I do because I'm scared... and because I don't know how to express what I feel." He said it so quietly that she barely heard it. "I did all of those things because I was angry with you for picking Sam." Was it the King of Assassins who spoke, or the father, or the lover who never manifested himself?  
Arobynn's carefully cultivated mask fell, and the wound she'd given him flickered in those magnificent eyes. "Stay with me," he whispered. "Stay in Rifthold." She swallowed, and found it particularly hard to do so. "I'm going." "No," he said softly. "Don't go.""

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!