Sunday 11 May 2014

Sunday Post (#6)


"The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead." 

 What I read this week 

The Three by Sarah Lotz
❄ Hexed (The Witch Hunter, #1) by Michelle Krys

✿ Reviews ✿

❄ The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Curse, #1) by Marie Rutkoski 

✿ Memes ✿

 Top Ten Tuesday 
 Waiting on Wednesday 

✿ Around the blogosphere and elsewhere ✿

 New stills from The Giver movie shooting
When did abuse become okay?
❄ Time to sign up for Bout of Books if you want to participate
      (it starts tomorrow)

✿ What else I've been up to this week ✿

1. Summer Reading Challenge and Semi-hiatus post. I'm being super busy with the finals so I haven't had time to write any new reviews, but I have 10 days left which means soon all this studying will be over for a while!

2. Eurovisions. The contest was yesterday, and even though I was disappointed a bit with the performances this year, there were a few gems as well. Congratulations Conchita Wurst who won the contest!!

3. Watercolour painting. I've become obsessed with the art form! I think I've watched at least two dozen of different watercolour painting tutorials, and I'm planning to buy some supplies for the summer to try it out myself. I love how especially watercolour portrayals look like - sooo beautiful!

4. Read-a-long for the Way of Kings and Mental Health Awareness Month. I signed up for both of these, even though I might struggle a bit with the read-a-long event, because I still have one exam left as the event starts. But I'll probably make it!

5. Mother's Day. It's Mother's Day in my home country, and for some reason I have been extremely emotional for the whole day. Maybe it's because I just read this heartbreaking blog post about having a motherless Mother's Day which was so touching (I had tears streaming down my face). I'm so lucky to have an amazing mother whom I adore and love so much. It's a shame that I can't spend this day with her as we live in different countries, but my thoughts are with her. 




24 comments:

  1. Hope the next few days of finals go quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So, so tired of revising now, haha! :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your finals. I have high hopes for The Giver movie - fingers crossed they don't stuff it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I do too - I really liked the novel so we'll see what they can come up with! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Good luck with your finals, Sofia. I haven't read The Giver, but I've heard lots of buzz about the movie.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! :) You should check it out the novel - it's pretty quick to read, but really interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Good Luck with your finals! I hope you can enjoy your vacation after that! Trying out a new hobby sounds fun! Watercolour paintings can be really beautifull indeed. Last time I've painting was probably during high school, we had a fun art class and always enjoyed it, but I never had the urge to actually buy materials and paint at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've painted with oil paints before, but I prefer the overall look of watercolour paintings. :) It should be fun, even though it might not be the easiest of art forms.. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm counting down the days until summer starts too! I could really use a vacation.
    Watercolour is a surprisingly hard art form. I'm an artist and I've tried it so many times! It's something you REALLY have to practice, just a warning haha. It dries fairly quick so you have to know exactly what you want to do before you start painting. Also you have to practice not using small strokes because you can see every stroke on a watercolour painting.
    Also make sure you use watercolour paper, cold press is best. It's a lot thicker and can hold all that water.
    Don't give up though! It looks great when you finally get a piece to look good! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, thanks for the word of advice! :) I need to keep those in mind! I've painted with oil paints but I'm not sure how handy those skills will come with watercolours.. I've heard it's pretty difficult. :D I might end up making pretty monstrous pieces but luckily I'm pretty patient and won't give up easily. :)

      Thanks again for the advice and encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your exams, and the painting too. I need to join some readalongs, the Way of Kings one sounds fun and with it being a big book I bet that would be fun to compare notes w/ others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should participate in the Way of Kings as well if you're looking for some readalongs. It sounds like fun! :)

      Delete
  6. Wishing you lots of luck with your finals! I know you are looking forward to having free time to explore new hobbies and read more books. I think it's great to give new things a try. I'm going to try to work in some time to improve my sewing and drawing skills some this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you bet I am. :) I do have a summer job as well sorted out, but it's so different to be working instead of studying - you won't bring any stuff to home and during summer everything feels so different. I hope you get to work on your sewing and drawing as well - sounds like good plans. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm mad that I missed the Eurovision finale. There wasn't anyone I was able to get excited for this year though. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a shame, but luckily there's always next year and the year after that and that. :) I hope you had a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  8. Good luck on the finals. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you do very well with your finals. Hope you have a great week.
    Sharon
    My Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your summer reading goals (choke!!!) - I loved summer reading programs, too!!!!!! I'm trying to get my boy into doing them but he's in 2nd grade so he has better things to do :)

    Hang in there with studying - it's almost over!!!! Thanks for visiting me, too!!!! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're too sweet! Thank you! :) Haha, I bet boys his age definitely might appreciate some other things, but maybe one day he might take on a summer reading program. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  11. Happy Mother's Day Sofia! I loved Watercoloring Painting when I was in high school. I miss painting. It've very relaxing and I love being creative. Good Luck with Finals! I know how stressful they are!!!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should pick it up again! :) I'm sure you wouldn't regret it! Thanks you for the wishes and stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Mother's Day in my country will be in May but by that time I will already be in Japan and my mom and I will be in different countries by then too. :( I'm getting teary-eyed now.

    And you need to read The Winner's Crime soon Sofia! I freakin' (pardon my french) loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!