Wednesday 27 March 2019

Can't-wait-wednesday #3: The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang



Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme to spotlight and discuss the books we're excited about that we have yet to read.

This week, I can't wait for

by R.F. Kuang

41118857Description from Goodreads

The searing follow-up to 2018’s most celebrated fantasy debut – THE POPPY WAR.

In the aftermath of the Third Poppy War, shaman and warrior Rin is on the run: haunted by the atrocity she committed to end the war, addicted to opium, and hiding from the murderous commands of her vengeful god, the fiery Phoenix. Her only reason for living is to get revenge on the traitorous Empress who sold out Nikan to their enemies.

With no other options, Rin joins forces with the powerful Dragon Warlord, who has a plan to conquer Nikan, unseat the Empress, and create a new Republic. Rin throws herself into his war. After all, making war is all she knows how to do.

But the Empress is a more powerful foe than she appears, and the Dragon Warlord’s motivations are not as democratic as they seem. The more Rin learns, the more she fears her love for Nikan will drive her away from every ally and lead her to rely more and more on the Phoenix’s deadly power. Because there is nothing she won’t sacrifice for her country and her vengeance.

The sequel to R.F. Kuang’s acclaimed debut THE POPPY WAR, THE DRAGON REPUBLIC combines the history of 20th-century China with a gripping world of gods and monsters, to devastating effect.


Genre: Adventure, Mythology, Fantasy 
Pages: 560
Expected Publication: August 6, 2019
Publisher: Harper Voyager

The epic book two of the amazing The Poppy War series is just around the corner! Well, almost. But I couldn't wait to share this book with you all, whether you have read the first book or not. If you haven't started on this series yet: please do! Kuang has a very unique voice in fantasy storytelling: the author builds a detailed and dark world with an interesting take on gods and mythology. The first book was a mix of Harry Potter, The Game of Thrones, and Percy Jackson. I'm expecting a lot from the second installment, The Dragon Republic!! Those who have already got up and personal with The Poppy War, what are your thoughts on the second book?

4 comments:

  1. I love the sound of these! and I'm overdue for a shot of epic fantasy- these sound fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to get Book one, I hear such good things about it, I am in such a fantasy mood I need to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh!! I love the cover of this book! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that cover is STUNNING! Sounds like a good read too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!