Friday 2 August 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill (2013)


Description from Goodreads:

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

--

First of all, I want to thank Bloomsbury Publishing Pic for allowing me to have a copy of this exceptional book. I just finished reading the book and I'm so speechless! All Our Yesterdays is one of those books which just blow your mind, and you can't stop thinking about it after finishing. I don't know if I have any bad word to say about this book. I think I could write a book of the all the praises I have for it!


Yes, yes, yes! Finally, I've read a decent, or well to be honest, an excellent time-travelling young adult book! I have waited for this so long, and finally it happened. The best part is that even though time-travelling was a big part of the book, there was so much more to the story with action, betrayals, romance, friendship and so so much more. I'm so in love with the book at the moment!

First of all I want tackle the time-travel concept. I have encountered quite many books that include time-travelling, but the author hasn't offered a good, realistic, and scientific explanation how does the time-machine actually work. However, in the case All Our Yesterdays, Terrill gives a proper description how it is possible to travel through time. Even though I'm not a physicist and I'm not an expert on these issues, the author's theory seems logical and actually plausible! It was just a pleasure to read how Terrill had come up with her own idea!

I was sucked into the story from the first page. In the beginning, the readers aren't allowed to know too much what has happened to Em and Finn to get imprisoned, but slowly we are allowed to know what got them into that position. The chapters bounce from the future to the past which is really interesting to read. One could think that this solution interrupts the natural flow of the story, but I found it a great choice from the author. We get to know the characters better and find out what are the motivations behind Em and Finn's actions. 

It's really rare for me to like all the characters in the novel including both "good" and "bad" guys. But in All Our Yesterdays I really loved everyone. Em was this brave yet gentle soul, and I could immediately identify with her even though she was in a position where I probably won't ever be. Finn on the other hand was so sweet and loyal. Even though Marina (e.g. the past Em) doesn't exactly fancy Finn, the readers can right away see what a nice person he really is. And James. James, James, James. He probably along with Finn was my favourite character. James was such a complex character with his intelligence and awkwardness. 

But maybe the best thing in the whole novel was that even though the idea of time-travelling is rather Utopian, the events and the characters made the story so believable. Even though at moments the story was terrifying and so far from the reality, somehow I could see that the world could turn up to be something like in All Our Yesterdays if (or when..) time-machine is invented. I don't want to reveal how the world turned up to be, but it was something scary.

Apparently there is going to be sequel (sequels?) and I just simply cannot wait for it. The ending was sort of perfect and left me reeling with so many emotions. I hope Terrill writes the book 2 asap, or I just might have to kidnap her and get answers to my questions about what's going to happen next!!

"I feel something like the whisper of a touch to my face. Deep from the back of my mind, a voice that sounds a lot like my own speaks to me like a memory, telling me I'm strong and loved and that everything is going to be okay. And, for some strange reason, I believe it."

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen a bad word about this book anywhere. I'm getting more and more desperate to have it in my hands!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I was a bit sceptic about All Our Yesterdays when I started it, exactly because everyone had been praising it. It turned out to be for nothing. :)

      If you have a chance to get a copy, please take it! You won't regret it. :)

      Delete

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!