Thursday 15 August 2013

Book Review: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas




Description from Goodreads:

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.

After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?

--

Celaena has survived the King's Champion Contest and won the title of Royal Assassin, but just barely. Now she has to work as the cruel King's minion, and Celaena hates every moment of it. However, she has found her own silent way of rebelling against the King of Adarlan - every victim King chooses to be annihilated, Calaena gives them a choice: to be killed or flee from the country for ever. However, things get complicated as the King appoints Calaena's next victim to be a male prostitute who happens to be an old acquaintance of hers. Can she save her old friend, or does she have to sacrifice herself for the sake of righteousness? 

I have no idea why I had so high expectations for Crown of Midnight, when the book 1 for the series in my opinion was only okay. I like to think it was some sort of woman's instinct because this book, rocked my world. Crown of Midnight deserves all shiny five stars, even six if I could give them. Sarah J. Maas has really stepped up with her second novel in Throne of Glass series. She wrote a more focused storyline, deepened the characters and the relationships between characters, and created thrilling moments for us readers. I think I can freely say Crown of Midnight is one the best book (certainly belongs to my top3) I have read this year, and the most spectacular novel (to be) published this year. 

The first thing that I noticed while reading the book was how much more stable Calaena was as a character. Even though we get to see the most badass side of her ever seen, as well as her soft fragile side, in Crown of Midnights the sides of her were so much better written and established. Calaena felt a lot solider character and therefore I was more willing to accept her extreme sides than while reading the book 1, Throne of Glass. To make Caleana even more realistic character, Maas allowed the readers to see brief glimpses of her past which gives so much more credibility and depth to her character. Another thing I was so pleased about was the fact that the author had written a lot more assassin action of Celaena as well as her thoughts about her haunting profession. THANK YOU SARAH J. MAAS. You have just written a heroine who is perfect in her own imperfect way (and who is also my favourite heroine).

Even though I usually love triangles, I was so incredibly glad when I found out Maas had decided to rule it out from the storyline. In Crown of Midnight, the relationship between Celaena and Chaol starts to develop and the romance between Calaena and Dorian is left out (just like I wanted, yay!!). I never cared much for the Crown Prince Dorian as I found him a bit too much arrogant and pompous to be Celaena's love interest. All my support go to Chaol who is more down to Earth, sincere and well, a bit broken. I seem to have this thing for men who are emotionally a little bit astray, and Chaol is exactly something like that. Another reason why I love him so much is the fact that despite he is extremely sweet, caring and protective, he is also a very manly man. Despite he has a very pleasing masculine appearance, he is also the type that likes to take control and can be very passionate when he wants. Ugh, I still can't handle some of the scene in the book which involve the fervent Chaol. 

You can immediately notice how much better Maas's writing and storyline development is compared to the book one. The plot is focused and doesn't go wandering into situations which are unnecessary for the overall progression, and so the story already is more captivating and interesting. I found myself turning the pages of my Kindle frenziedly. The plot never bored me, and I had to wake up at 7 am on my day off to continue reading. Even though the book contained as much elements as book 1, everything seemed to be under the control the author which made the reading experience so much more enjoyable. 

Even though the book 1 wasn't exactly my taste, the book 2 compensated for the whole series. So much indeed that I can say Throne of Glass is my favourite book series at the moment. I have no idea how I can wait until 2014 when the book 3 is published. I have so much confidence in this thrilling series that I can state it is the best high fantasy YA series. I'm just infatuated with the world, characters, relationship, with the magic and Faes. Pure love from me. Fortunately for the Throne of Glass lovers at least 6 books have been planned to be published - awesome!! 

I don't think my words can exactly convey how many positive feelings I have for this book. I think those who loved the first book will find themselves reading one the most suspenseful books they have read for a long time. The twists, revelations, drama, action... Everything so well executed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!