Monday 12 August 2013

Bleeding Hearts (Demimonde, #1) by Ash Krafton (2012)


Description from Goodreads:


Sophie Galen is an advice columnist who is saving the world - one damned person at a time. Shy and sensitive Sophie has all but given up on love until she meets Marek, a mysterious stranger who seduces her with his striking good looks and his take-charge attitude. Yet the darkness she senses within him may be more than she is prepared to handle when Marek draws her into a world of vampires, werewolves, and treachery. Forced to leave behind the comfortable routines and certainties of her past, Sophie makes unbearable sacrifices and uncovers hidden truths about herself and the world around her.

--

Thank you Ash Krafton for giving me the chance to read your book!

It has been a long time I last read a vampire book. I think this has been mainly due to the fact that vampires seem to be a really hot topic among Young Adult audience, so I grew a little bit tired of them. But then I got an email of having a chance to read Bleeding Hearts, and as the description sounded fine, I wanted to give vampires another shot. 

I loved the main character Sophie! She was so funny, charismatic, and has a very gentle soul. She has a major saviour complex and she is determined to save every possible soul even if takes forever. Even though I liked her character quite a bit, I couldn't help but wonder why the author wanted the book to be Young Adult book (the book was categorised as one in Goodreads). She is a 34-year-old woman, so I'm not sure how well young adults can identify with her character. In my opinion, Krafton should have taken the extra step and written the book for older audience. 

There is another reason why the author should have written the book for slightly older readers. Even though the chemistry was impeccable between Sophie and Marek, I think Bleeding Hearts would have gotten a little more kick if there was a little bit of smut. If I remember right none of the kisses nor the more intimate scenes were described more than with few sentences. I found this a little bit of a shame as there was all the potential to have very sexy scenes. Krafton's writing style would have ensured it!

However, I have to give respect for the fact that Sophie and Marek's relationship wasn't all physical. I loved how they actually had conversations and got to know each other before they went any further. Even though there was the initial attraction between these two they didn't act on their urges immediately. I find it kind of rare these days which is a shame. But I have to mention this: how come Sophie didn't completely freak out when Marek revealed he being a demivampire? It wasn't very realistic as she almost immediately after initial shock seemed to be cool Marek being a supernatural being. 

The plot was okay and interesting, even though I wished there were more adrenaline rushing moments. Nevertheless, there was some mythology matters going on with the plot which I found really fascinating. It's obvious the author had done some research about Egyptian mythologies and on top of this, she was able to present them in a subtle yet captivating way. In addition, there was a religious aspect included which didn't really charm me.

I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I were more into vampires, and if there would have been more adult scenes. Nevertheless, Bleeding Hearts was a decent book with funny and adorable heroine that kept me entertained the whole time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!