Thursday 1 August 2013

Mila 2.0 (Mila 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza (2013)




Description from Goodreads:

Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence
.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past—that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity-style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.

--

I'd like to start by saying, I have very mixed feelings about Mila 2.0. Despite the intriguing description, I didn' really have any kind of expectations for the book except for waiting amazing android functions. I'm glad I didn't have any other, because I think I would have been a tiny bit disappointed with the book. Mila 2.0 promises you something extraordinary, but I felt like I got only 1/3 of extraordinary out of the book.

I think it was only after the half-way point until I was sucked in the world of Mila. The first half was boring, predictable, and even cheesy, if I'm being completely honest. It was rather difficult for me to pick up the book as I felt like I could predict everything that was coming up. And I did. Until Mila makes a run for it. After she got out of Clearwater, the book seemed to transform to this fast-paced, action filled, captivating book! I was completely blown away with the change! The end of the book was so thrilling, I ended up reading 40% of the book in one sitting as I couldn't put the book down. Do you see now why I have mixed feelings about Mila 2.0?

Nevertheless, I have to give credit for Mila and how her character was build and developed. Mila was very interesting to observe. She is convinced she is a real girl, and never has a though passed her mind that she could something completely different. As she finds out that she in fact is an android created by the military, she understandably faces an identity crisis. It was fascinating and very sad at the same to watch her going through variety of emotions as she learnt the truth. Fortunately, the initial shock lasts for the whole book, making Mila's reaction very realistic - who would get over the fact that one is android quickly? However, the crisis wasn't on your face all the time, but it surfaces every once in a while, reminding the readers what a rough patch Mila is going through.

All the nanotechnology and android functions were so entertaining to read! Some of Mila's functions and her reactions to them were plenty of fun. For example it was really interesting when Mila was assessing possible enemies, and how a red text "Target: immobilised"  would show on her vision if she kicked someone's ass. I was really impressed how Driza had gathered surprisingly lot of information about technology involving androids as well as making up some own stuff. I found myself always really intrigued by these scenes, and I'm really glad there were so many of them.

There is a small romance thing also going on which dominated the beginning of the book. This romance partially was the reason why I didn't care for the novel at first. The love interest, Hunter, was just so slimy. He was written as too desirable with his "pale blue eyes" and impeccable fashion sense. I think some readers probably are going to be all over Hunter, but he just didn't do the thing for me. Despite the fact he has this body of a Greek god, he was some what rigid with Mila. All the conversations with her were awkward and cheesy, and while reading them I just wished them to already over. Another guy does come along who I would so much like to have as Mila's love interest, but somehow I think that's not going to happen. Too bad, the second guy was actually pretty charming yet realistic. 

I guess if you like insta-love, but yet are interested in sci-fi stuff, you could pick up the book. The book's last half deserves 4 stars, but the first half only 2 stars. I think I want to read the book 2 as well at some point, but I'm not dying to read it. The trilogy/series (?) has so much potential to transform to this incredible story, so I really hope the opposite won't happen. Actual Rating 3.5.


2 comments:

  1. I recently read this one and I think I enjoyed it a lot more than you did, but I can see why you thought that. The beginning WAS a little cheesy, but I thought it was cute. While I'm not falling head-over-heels for Hunter, I liked him. But seriously, the last half was amazing! Action-packed and thrilling, and Driza knows what she's doing with the android elements! I'm glad you at least loved the second half of the story. Thanks for your honest thoughts, Sofia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you got more out of it than I did. :) I haven't totally given up on Hunter, but at the moment I'm not his biggest fan. I really hope that book 2 will change my mind, because the story otherwise was really good and I do want to like Mila 2.0 more!

      Thanks for commenting, it's always fun to compare opinions! :)

      Delete

You can't see me, but I'm totally doing my happy dance as I read your comment!